Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Parking Wars

I would love to know who the first innovative moron was to put a chair in the snowy streets of Chicago to save a parking spot.  Why does this strike people as a completely reasonable thing to do?  Nobody puts expendable items out in the street any other time of year.  If it is not insane, then why not save your spot in the summer too?  Because it IS insane.  Especially when
you do it IN FRONT OF OTHER PEOPLE'S HOUSES!  It's bad enough in front of your own home, if you have shoveled out a spot, but in front of another house crosses the threshold of idiocy.  This past weekend I went to my sister's house and when we pulled up there were no empty spots.  There were no cars in these spots -- just chairs, buckets, bar stools, a baby swing (sans baby, thankfully).........so I got out of my car and moved the two plastic chairs that were blocking a spot directly in front of my sister's house by throwing them (admittedly not so gently) into the snow bank on the curb thus allowing my husband to park there.  No sooner did I get the first chair moved when an irritated man across the street and down two houses opened the 2nd floor window to shout at me "HEY!".  I ignored him and moved the second chair.  "THAT'S MY SPOT!!!".  I don't think so, buddy.  I informed him, that no, it is my spot and he doesn't live in this house, I do (technically not the truth, but close enough).  So he slammed the window shut.  But I don't trust people, so I kept an eye out the window of my sister's house expecting this grumpy neighbor to come out for revenge.  I saw him crossing the street and watched him approach my car and I was waiting for something to happen...........but he just took his chairs and walked back home!  Now, if the chairs were still there when I left, I probably would've put them back, but I'm glad he took them in.  I hope he realized how completely silly the whole concept is.  And I hope he found something better to pass his time than staring out his window watching who is parking where.

Also, this episode did nothing to contest my husband's prediction that someday I am going to get him into a fight.  He swears my big mouth is going to stir up trouble and it will be him, not me, that is forced to deal with the consequences.  I constantly tell him he's wrong, it hasn't happened yet in the 5 years we've been together.  But when I step back and look at situations like this, I see his point.  Luckily it turned out fine, but I guess it had the potential to go bad........apparently people are very possessive of their parking spots. 

So, what interesting items have you guys seen holding parking spots?  Anything that tops a baby swing?
And have you ever gotten your husband into a fight?

No comments:

Post a Comment