Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

We're Not Perfect, We're Parents

After reading her post, I felt compelled to share it.  Mayim Bialik, aka Blossom, has shared her parenting methods, attachment parenting, which are interesting to say the least.  Read her post and then come back for my thoughts:  Mayim's article
I do not judge other mothers.  I judge myself.  A lot.  Knowing what a challenging, unforgiving, constant, thankless job it is, I do not dare judge anyone else.  Every mom is different, every child is different, every family has different needs so I pretty much go by the "whatever works for you" mindset.  If this is what works for her family, that's great.  No way in hell it would work for mine.  Or 90% of those I know for that matter.
1.  Breastfeeding until 2 1/2 years old.  Nope.  I couldn't even breastfeed my son for 2 1/2 days.  I tried, it failed, I was exhausted and I stopped.  I didn't give up; I made a thoughtful, conscious choice that formula was the best option for our family.  The "Nursing Nazi", as I affectionately call her, that was on duty that day disguised as the lactation consultant was less than thrilled with me (don't worry, I got to leave the hospital with all kinds of freebies because she was SO out of line).  "With the proper education, support and resources, almost all women should be able to build a strong milk supply and successfully breast-feed, barring rare genetic conditions."  Um, pretty sure I don't have any rare genetic conditions so I guess that puts me into the "try for and feel bad you couldn't do" category that she puts natural childbirth in.  Which brings me to #2.
2.   Natural childbirth is a right and a privilege.  It absolutely is a right.  A privilege?  I'm not sold on that one.  I have the utmost respect and support for women who desire natural childbirth.  But I also think that everyone's experience is completely different and there is nothing wrong with admitting you need help, that the pain is too much to bear.  Truth be told, if I didn't think an epidural was a possibility my son might not be here.  I can't be sure if the epidural didn't quite live up to it's full potential that day or if the pain was so outrageous that it snuck past the epi, but I felt.  A lot.  Of pain.  If that's how it felt WITH the epidural, than natural childbirth can suck it.  Seriously.  Ain't gonna happen.
3.  Bed-sharing.  Nope.  I can't even "bed-share" with my husband because his snoring keeps me up.  I'm totally out on this one.  And I kinda dig my real bed.  I'm not a futon on the floor kinda gal.
4.  I have no problem with slings although I didn't use one.  Almost exclusively instead of a stroller though?  I don't know........I mean, where do you hang your bags when you're at the mall?!
5.  Gentle discipline, huh?  I can go for the no hitting, but no punishing?  None?  At all?  We were punished as children if we did something wrong and I'd like to say that I'm a pretty well adjusted, mentally healthy adult (despite what my husband says!).  I don't think it harmed me.  I also take huge exception to the insinuation that if you "force manners" on your children they are "robots".  Teaching them to say "please" and "thank you" does not make them robots.  It makes them pleasant to be around.  It makes them the children that your friends don't roll their eyes at when you tell them over the phone you have to bring the kids with when you get together.  It makes their teachers glad to have them in their classroom.  It makes them polite members of society and let's be honest, these days we could use more of those!

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on these parenting viewpoints.........do they work for you?  Not work for you?  Anything you have tried, are trying, will try or hey, maybe even just vowed after reading to never in a million years ever try?

I wonder if Sixx has any children.............

3 comments:

  1. I personally think she is weird. Aww, Sixx, now SHE was FUN!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my mouth dropped open a few lines into "Blossom's" story and never closed! I agree that anyone can choose to parent any way that want. What's irritating to me is that she makes it seem that if you don't parent her way, it's wrong. I CANNOT stand people like that. Why can't she just respect people parent differently?

    Also, is she actively employed right now?! Those of us who live in the real world work for a living and couldn't breast feed on demand if we wanted to. That aside, didn't breast feed, didn't want to, and my daughter is healthy, happy, and if I don't say so myself, a pretty damn smart 14 month old! She says words, waves hello & good-bye, walked @ 10.5 months, and loves Justin Bieber's "Baby!" (No lie, she does!)

    Her natural child birth comments are unbelievable! There can always be complications during child birth and it has nothing to do with the lack of trying on the mom's part. My daughter was tilted, so I couldn't dilate past 3cm over the course of a day.! If I didn't want my daughter to die because her heart rate kept dropping, I had to have a c-section. F you "Blossom" for criticizing mothers who aren't like you. And I always liked "Sixx" more anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it sure did have a condescending tone to it which is what really lead me to post this. I figured I wasn't the only one who would disagree with her style! "F you 'Blossom'", haha!
    And if baby girl already has Bieber Fever, good luck to you in a few years!

    ReplyDelete